Every year mom schedules the family thanksgiving the Saturday before the holiday. Most of the cousins are married and have other families to visit. The night before she has her great nieces and nephews come over. We bake cookies, make homemade chex mix, prepare the bread dressing, and of course we give our turkey a spa treatment complete with a butter massage. Saturday friends and family arrive to celebrate. Mom plans this weeks in advance. She creates a trivia game for everyone and hands out prizes. Each year the prizes seem to get bigger and better. This year mom was a little stuck on what to do for the trivia. I suggested we do a murder mystery game. I found some that were family friendly and holiday themed. I tossed the idea around and she loved it. No one would be expecting it. We took a gamble and dove in. We had fun pairing the characters with the guest coming. It was difficult on some when they fit 3 of the characters to a T. We mailed the invitations along with they're character synopsis. We weren't sure what to expect. I knew that my cousins Tara and Rusty would be fine with it as they've done one before. The others I wasn't quite sure. Would they be hostile to the idea or embrace their character. Were we in for a surprise. Everyone got into character and played their part well. My favorite character was my cousin Britanie. She was Tele the roving reporter. She brought these black plastic glasses because as she says all reporters have glasses. I said what era are you from the 80's?
We had a blast. In doing the game and getting the meal on the table we left out a few dishes, but it was the best Thanksgiving we've had yet. Everyone was happy and laughing. It was a great one and I think we've started a new tradition!
No comments:
Post a Comment