Saturday, January 14, 2012

You're never to old

I was in Wal-mart searching for a birthday card and gift bag for my cousin's sweet 16.  I turned down the gift bag aisle which was quite crowded.  I carefully maneuvered my cart around so that I wouldn't hit people.  An elderly gentleman (I'd say late 70's early 80's) saw what I was doing and says "beep beep it sure is crowded here".  I responded with "yes it is".  He then noticed the fuchsia orchid I had in my basket.  "That sure is beautiful!"  "It is, isn't it?" I replied.   I made my way down the aisle to the bags.  As I'm searching for the perfect bag he comes up along side me and begins talking to me.    He said "I met my wife coming out of surgery.  I woke up from anesthesia and there she was this vision and she said hello to me.  I wasn't sure she was talking to me but she was.  Well she's been with Jesus now for about 2 years.  I know someday we'll be together again.  You sure are a pretty young lady."  He proceeds to ask me if I'm married.  I tell him no, but maybe someday.  He introduced himself to me and then asked my name.  I'm not sure why but I just couldn't tell him my real name so I said my nick name Jenny.  We shook hands, he smelled my orchid one last time, and bid me farewell.  He came back a few seconds later asking if I had seen some Archie comic books he was looking for them.  I love Archie.  I helped him search for a little bit but we couldn't find them.  He thanked me and went on his way.  Hopefully I bought a little joy to his life today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw...that is precious! I just know you brightened his day...and you brightened mine by sharing the story!! :) ~Holland