Tuesday, March 08, 2011

The starving Artist Cafe

Month two of our dinner club. Cynthia. & Joanna chose the Starving Artist Cafe. Amanda H. suggested we ride the trolley over to the North side of the river & wouldn't you know it, it stopped right in front of the restaurant. It was quiet an experience. A little bumpy at times. It works for Little Rock, but I prefer the original trolleys in San Francisco. The restaurant doesn't require reservations, but they do recommend them. Since we had a large group we went ahead with reservations. Little did we realize that when we planned this the Little Rock marathon & Winter Jam would be going on this weekend. surprisingly the restaurant wasn't that crowded. Art adorned the walls as well with sculptures & Mosaics strategically placed throughout the restaurant.
For the second time, bathrooms seemed to be a hot topic around the table. From the leopard print chair in the ladies bathroom to the art hanging on the walls. I guess it gives you a variety of things to focus on.
I had viewed the menu on line and wanted to try the lamb, however I changed my mind upon looking at the full menu. I decided to order in a way I'd never ordered before. I chose an appetizer, a light dinner, & a dessert. The apple brie bruchetta with apple chutney was an experience. I shared it with everyone. I was not a fan of it, but a few did. The brie was tasteless & almost had a mushy consistency. I enjoyed just the apples & bread. The majority of us ordered crepes. I ordered the spinach & feta cheese crepe. It was covered with an Asiago cheese sauce. The smell was strong but the taste wasn't. I liked it, but its not something I'd order all the time. I can only take so much cooked spinach. The best part was the dessert. They had chocolate creme brule! So naturally that was my pick! A few others ordered some different desserts and we all shared. It was like having a dessert tasting. There was my dessert, apple brown Betty, Blueberry Charolette and of course chocolate Cake. Each dessert was fabulous!
The staff was very friendly and we received great service. I can't wait to go back. & try the lamb! On Tuesday nights they have dinner & a show which is comparable to Murrays just with smaller productions & better food. The tickets are $10 you buy in advance. The meal is a 3 course meal at market price which can start at $35 and go up. They open their doors at 5 and the performance starts at 7 & ends at 9. I think it'd be a fun night out during the week. After we left we caught the trolley back to the river market. It was dreadfully cold. & windy. We didn't spend as much time Walking around as I would have liked, but under the circumstances I'm glad. A quick stop in starbucks to warm us up & we called it a night.

No comments: