I've been teaching a kindergarten class on Wednesday nights. Some nights it's a challenge as I have some hyper kids and others who haven't started school yet. Still I love them all. This month we're studying how people celebrate Christmas. Last Wed. night we talked about the American tradition. I bought a small tabletop tree to decorate. We sang Christmas carols as we decorated the tree. It's amazing how you sing songs all your life and suddenly the lyrics become distant memories to you. What we forgot we made up with humming or drawn out slurred words to get us through. One little boy sang his lyrics to frosty the snowman when another one let him know "hey those aren't the words to that song".
I had told the children if they were really good we'd have a surprise for them. At the end of the night I asked "What's one thing you wish for on Christmas besides presents?" They yelled "TOYS"! I laughed and said "no" something outside. They weren't catching on so I sang "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" and asked if they new what that meant...and no they still didnt' get it. I finally said "SNOW! We're going to have a snow fight!" They errupted with yells of joy! They were so excited and coudn't wait to get their hands inside the bag.
It was magical as we threw snow on each other. Their faces lit up and the air was filled with laughter. They slid on the floor and some even tried to make snow angels. Glitter and snow were everywhere but it was well worth it. After the snow I twirlled the children in the air. They can't get enough of that. I wished I had my camera to capture the moment, but I'll always have the memories in my heart and replay the "video" in my mind. I love my class and can't wait for this Wednesday as we're studying christmas in Mexico. This time I wont forget the camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment