Wednesday, June 02, 2010

"I wanna bop with you baby"

123 123 rock step 123 123 rock step...It's all coming back to me now. Tonight I went by myself to a the Y for swing lessons. I've taken ballroom dance lessons and had a few in swing but it's been about 3 years. I arrived with my stomach in knots and clammy hands. I wondered if there would there be anyone my age? What am I getting myself into? I wish I had friends to talk to. I walked to the door slowly as I pondered everything. I must have looked unsure of myself as a lady asked "are you new at this?" "Yes, is this where they're doing the swing lessons?" I replied. She said yes and told me what I needed to do. She and her husband were also new. After signing in I joined her and her husband as I felt I had made some new friends. Thank you God! Slowly some other newbies joined us and we began talkig about our worries about the class.
We entered the dance hall and headed to the back for our lessons. From the start they divided the girls on one side and guys on the other. The teachers went over the steps a few times and then said "Find a partner". Worry struck my face. There were already lots of paired up couples and I had come by myself. The website said you didn't need a partner. Who was I going to dance with?
"Hi, can I be your partner?" a gentleman asked me. I nervously shook my head and replied "yes". His name is Phil and he's around my moms age. He was extrememly nice and patient. I didn't get a handsome guy as my partner but looking back on it Phil was perfect as I felt at ease with him. After class I stayed for swing dancing. I sat with Phil and some other new friends I had met. Phil got me out on the dance floor and away we went. Other men asked me to dance. Some I liked dancing with and others I didn't care for too much. One of the teachers danced with me. He complemented me sayng "I was good". I smiled and said thank you. It was a confidence booster as there were times I was unsure of my moves. I loved being turned out and in several times. I had so much fun. My feet are killing me. I could use a foot massage. I can't wait for next Wednesday night. If you're in town you should come. I'm glad I got out of my comfort zone and tried something new.
I had friends say they might be interested if there were hot girls there. I'll have to say there were a good mix of young and old couples and singles. Everybody dances with everybody. Once you're there you forget about that and just have fun dancing.

No comments: