Saturday, February 17, 2007
Theory as a lense
Theories are like lens in that they help you see things from a different perspective. In fact they can make situations seem clearer. Dr. Lyon was an avid fan of this approach as he coached us in our research class. It was our senior project and we took a communication theory and applied it to a situation involving communication in our life. In essence we analyzed the situation and came up with solutions of how we should have approached the situation. As a speech major, this also applies to anyone who writes, we had instilled in us “REVISE, REVISE, REVISE”. Never go with your first copy as you will always find mistakes. This approach is a necessity in my job of web design. In my web design class we learned the basics of web design, yet we did not go into detail on design aspects. In my current job setting there is Simone who has been editor of a newspaper and knows the ins and outs of design and there is Verne who is advanced in Photoshop and video editing. Working with these two has been an eye opener. They’ve been like my “lenses”. We are currently in the process of redesigning the front page of the webpage. I started to work on the design and was satisfied with what I had done. It wasn’t my best but I thought I had done a good job considering I had tried a new concept. Friday, I had Simone look at it from a designer’s perspective and everything changed. However, with the two of us sitting down discussing the pictures to use and why some aren’t the best suited, what needs to be our focal point, what can be of a lesser value, etc…I saw things in a different light. I’m glad I didn’t post my original copy. As Simone has worked on this with me it’s developing into something better. I can’t wait for the finished product.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment