Friday, March 09, 2007
Elizabeth town
I decided to watch a movie I’d never seen before, nor did I have any desire to see it when it came out. While the movie takes place in Kentucky there were reminders of home built in. For instance when he arrives in Kentucky it’s during the summer and you can hear the insects buzzing around. It reminded me of home with the crickets, katydids, and other creatures I hear when it’s warm outside. It took me back to a place in time where I could feel the hot muggy air pushing against my skin and the sweat beads forming on my head. The reunion scenes with the family reminded me of mine. There are people everywhere, kids running around playing games, the ladies cooking while the men sit out in the yard or in the living room talking. The southern accents were very prominent in the characters. It was then that I realized I’m okay with the accent I have. I’ve noticed being here it will occasionally come out while I’m speaking. Living here, I’ve discovered I love. It’s different than home. The atmosphere is different. I don’t have a hectic schedule to adhere to; I’m healthier as there aren’t fast food restaurants on every corner. I’ve said on several occasions “I don’t miss Arkansas. I just miss family and friends. Tonight as I finished the movie, they crossed through Memphis into Arkansas and showed the State Sign. I threw my hands up in victory and cheered for Arkansas. Maybe there is a little part of me that misses Arkansas. Arkansas will always be my home state, but there comes a time when you move on and find a new home. There will be times I will miss things about Arkansas and I’m sure when I return there will be things I miss about Europe. I’ll see a movie or hear a sound that will take me back to this time and place. What will it be like when I return? Everyone’s life has gone on as mine has to. When I return I will truly face culture shock for the first time in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great story, however you failed to mention the biting bugs,ticks, redbugs, the public schools the poverty and my personal favorite the heat and humidity. So what languages do you speak. now Trev
Post a Comment