Thursday, March 15, 2007
Save the Frogs!!! Ribbit
Do you remember the arcade game Frogger? The adrenaline rush you got trying to help the frog cross the street without getting running over by a Mac truck? Who knew this happens in real life. I was surprised to find out that in Germany there are a few places where they close the streets during mating seasons for Frogs. At first I thought that they were pulling my leg. Apparently there are hundreds of frogs that mate in certain areas. In the past it was a nuisance as people would run over them with their cars. After a while, the build up of the lifeless bodies, blood, and guts became a problem causing some accidents from the road becoming slippery. In another area of Germany they have put up a protective tarp along the side of the road for about a mile. They placed buckets at certain intervals. The frogs try to jump the tarp but they can’t eventually they’ll move far enough down that they’ll make it into the bucket. The buckets are checked every so many hours. They are then taken to the other side of the street and the frogs are released. In a way you could call it the “Frog Bus stop”. However, I’m sure Kermit the Frog would rather take the city bus instead of the bucket bus. In essence this is the safest way for the frogs to cross the street and live a longer life. According to Marina Arnold, German frogs are different from American frogs in that German frogs quack whereas American frogs ribbit. Here again I thought I was being played but apparently not. Seems like Kermit the frog left Miss Piggy for Daisy Duck therefore explaining the quacking noise of the German frogs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment