Saturday, September 29, 2007
ballroom dance
I've always wanted to learn ballroom dance ever since I can remember. I decided I needed to get out of the house and get some exercise. What better way! I signed up for an introductry lesson pkg. After that I decided I wanted to continue and decided to treat myself for once. In addition to the lessons one is to also attend Practice seesions and or a group lesson. After talking with the one of the head ladies we decided I would benefit more from a practice session. I was a bit skeptical and shy at the same time. I was worried I would be the only young one there. When I arrived on Friday night a set of students were just finishing and there didn't seem to be very many people there. Then they started coming in one by one and my nerves started working over time. All of them over 50 minus the couple who had just finished their lesson. I'd say they were in their 40's. And when I thought I had lost all hope in walks this nice looking guy. He was young in fact younger than me. I was just happy that there was someone in my generation there. I was asked to dance by some of the other guys. One of the older guys asked me to dance the rhumba. All I had learned left my mind. I was tripping over my feet and not on beat. His dancing was far more advanced than mine. At one point I thought I might be in the movie Dirty Dancing as he told me "you're frame's not stiff enough you're not giving me anything to push against." I was shocked that he had just said that to me. In addition I think he'd had a drink or 2 as I could smell alcolhol on his breath. I was never more happy when that dance ended. The young guy, I believe his name was Joey, asked me to dance a few times. He was quite a dancer and takes everything seriousss but laughs to. I think I was more uptight than he was, but probably because I was so nervous dancing with new partners. We danced the waltz, tango, and foxtrot. When I'm with my teacher I'm a little more relaxed and move a bit more comfortably. I've just got to learn to let the guy lead and not just do the steps. The night was fun and challenging learning to adjust to new partners. I realized I danced more rhumbas than anyone else I think. It was a great workout.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment