Sunday, September 02, 2007

Multi-Cultural Wedding


I had the privilege of attending my friends wedding before leaving Switzerland. This was unique in that they were combining Swiss, Western, and Papua New Guinea traditions. Verne was an MK and grew up in Papua New Guinea and Rahel (Rachel) grew up in Switzerland. The church was beautiful. A single pink rose adorned each pew. The podium had a flower arrangement while a three tiered candle stand held 3 moss green colored candles. The atmoshpere was inviting. It felt as if everyone was family. When it was time to start Verne walked down the aisle casually and greeted some people he hadn't seen in a while. He wore a black suit with brown undertones and a brown vest and tie. His father performed the ceremony. Shortly after Rachel entered. She looked like a model with her slim figure. The gown looked delicate and complimented her. She radiated throughout the ceremony. Anytime they sang a song or had a scripture reading they had a verse in each of the languages from their heritages: English, Swiss, and Pigeon. It was beautiful. I believe this is the first wedding I've been to where the groom enjoyed it, was excited and radiated when he saw Rachel. One could catch the excitement bouncing off of Verne and Rachel. Their vowels were beautiful and defined their relationship with God and each other. They stressed the need and desire to have God involved in every aspect of their life. It's one of those were you sit there in awe and think "Wow! I want that! I want that kind of relationship with the man (or woman if you're a guy reading this) I marry!

No comments: