Sunday, September 02, 2007

Surprise Birthday



In Germany it is custom for you to throw your own birthday party. It can be lavish or just a simple gathering of friends for tea. My friend Nicole and I had talked about celebrating together since our birthdays are 1 week apart. We never got any definite plans set and time was getting closer for me to leave. I decided just to let it slide as I had so much going on trying to get things done and see all that I could the last week. Lely suggested we have one last girls night. These were common for us throughout this past year. It was our time to get together do facials, manicures, pedicures, massages, dancing etc....Just us girls. We arranged it for Thursday the 16th. Lely fixed chicken curry, I made salad and Lisa made dessert. We met at Nicole's apartment and enjoyed the dinner and laughter. We were standing around when Lisa came in with brownies and candles in the shape of 31. We started to sing happy birthday but then in the middle of it I became confused and didn't know who the song was for. Was it for me or Nicole? It ended up being Lely, Simone, and Lisa finishing the song and that's when I heard "Happy birthday Nicole & Jenn..." They definitely pulled one over on us. The cheesecake brownies were so good.


I had dressed in what I refer to as my "country" outfit. I don't know why I just feel that way when I wear it. Boot cut jeans, boots, and a brown striped button up shirt. I jokingly suggested we get some music and start line dancing. Simone and Lisa looked at each other and suggested we do a photo shoot. I'd been dying to do another one. :) Since we all live in the vicinity of each other we each went back to our apartments and got clothes to dress up in. We did each others hair and make up going all out on it and becoming daring. We had a blast. It was the best birthday party I've ever had!

No comments: