Sunday, September 02, 2007

European vacation part 1


Before leaving for Germany people said "Oh, you'll get to see so much of Europe because it's cheap to travel around." I'm not sure what their source was, but travel wasn't all that cheap. There were a few times we could get train tickets for 29 Euros and up to 5 of us could travel somewhere within a certain distance. I regret I didn't take advantage of more of these. Most of my travel was done when my family arrived at the end of July. We visited Garmisch, Heidleberg, and Venice. I had adapted to the European / German culture but some of my family had a little trouble adjusting in some areas. We did most of our travel by train. I booked us with fast connections to eliminate waiting time. What was I thinking????? There were 5 of us each with 1 large suitcase and at least 1 carry on. A few of us had backpacks. In addition to this I have asthma. For my time in Germany I had very little trouble with the asthma. We had our adventures traveling by train. Getting off on one platform and running to catch the other one which most of the time wasn't in close vicinity. There were times the conveyor belt for the luggage wasn't working and we'd haul all the luggage up the stairs while running. This kicked my asthma into gear running and carrying heavy luggage. One time I got us on the wrong train, yet we still ended up catching our next connection on time. The ICE (Inner City Express) trains were quite nice. The seats were plush, the cars air conditioned, and if you were lucky you had earphones to listen to music. The slower trains weren't as plush and sometimes not air conditioned. They were also strict on putting feet on the seat. I had the conductor get onto me for having my foot propt up. He wasn't too friendly about it either. All in all we had a good vacation despite the travel flops.

No comments: