Monday, November 12, 2007

Blessed Be Your Name

Do you have a song you love. Every time you hear it on the radio you turn it up and sing as loud as you can or when you sing it in church you get this happy feeling? Usually you know the song backwards and forwards you've sung it so many times and then one day the song takes on a whole new light. Suddenly the words sink in to you. What was once your favorite song that you could sing at a moments notice is now taking on a deeper meaning. It's causing you to evaluate yourself, actions, attitude, words etc....you can barely get the words out, your mouth tightens up, and you fight back the tears. You reflect on others you've seen portray the message of the song to the fullest and you ask yourself if you would do the same if in a situation like theirs.Blessed Be Your Name is one of my favorite songs and Sunday it took on a whole new meaning for me. We began our service with a memorial to the veterans and also to those who've passed away in our congregation. A lot has happened in the year I was in Germany and I'm just now finding out One of those honored was a relative of a friend of mine. She wasn't that much older than me, a wife, and a mother of 2 children. As we began to sing the song I found it hard to sing as I concentrated on the words. I thought of her and how her outlook on life was positive despite her illness, then I thought about a friend of mine who's young grandson is going through a similar situation and the prognosis isn't good, my aunt who went through years of cancer and yet up till the very end gave God all the glory and shared with everyone. I also recalled the story of Job who lost everything and his friends made fun of him yet through it all he said "Blessed Be Your Name". All of these people truly reflecting this song. I thought about my own life and how selfish I had been when something didn't work out. It was God's plan but I wanted Jenn's plan to work. God gives and takes away and our attitude should "Blessed Be Your Name" even when we don't understand it should always be trusting God that he knows what is right for us and give him glory. The sermon discussed being blessed by God. One of the points my pastor made was that sometimes we base "blessings" on materialism. God doesn't promise us he'll make us wealthy or give us everything we ask for. He provides what we need to sustain us and sometimes what we ask for isn't in his plan or maybe isn't even a good thing / situation for us.Sunday was just an awesome day of revelations for me I had a smile on my face driving home. I sort of felt like I was in an orbit gum commercial and there should be a sparkle and ding sound coming off my teeth. I laughed on the drive home as I saw a bike going across a bride in the air. Of course it was attached to a small car of which I couldn't see. The point is I felt refreshed and renewed nothing was going to bring down that "spiritual high".

No comments: