Sunday, November 18, 2007

Breaking Bread

In 4 days families will gather together to celebrate Thanksgiving. For some a meal ordered will be their choosing and for others it will be days of preparation. In my family the meal revolves around the stuffing. Good 'ole Yankee stuffing. Not one of my favorites and I believe I'm the only one in the family that doesn't like it. Still it's tradition. One I will pass on to my children some day.
Mom came home and was ready to start step one of the process. I was in the middle of something when she started so I opted out of helping her at the time. She put her Christmas music on and started breaking bread. After a while I sat down to join her. We began to talk about some serious issues I've been dealing with about trust, God, relationships, futures etc.... I sat in my chair leaned forward with my elbows on the table. Beneath my hands was a tin pan. I talked and looked to the ceiling as I was trying to articulate what I wanted to say. At the same time I was breaking bread and tossing it into the pan. Apparently mom thought this was comical and tried to imitate me. Only when she threw the bread it went outside of the pan. I'm just the master at it. ha ha. Anyway it was a bonding time for us and a time to realize even with tradition we have 2 different ways of doing things.

No comments: