Sunday, November 25, 2007

Journey Home

Tonight as I drove home on the rain soaked road my mind wandered as the water swished between the tires & the road. The wipers motioned back and forth clearing the water. The city light cast a pink hue against the midnight gray sky. Clouds were strung about like cotton candy. The cd played a jazzy blue song. The trumpet was strong, the piano played in the background, and the light sounds of the drums took me away. I imagined my alter ego dressed in casual but stylish clothes wearing a pea coat, crocheted scarf, and a beret walking down a foggy rain soaked cobblestone drive on my way to a coffee house to listen to some poetry. Suddenly the music changes and I'm walking through the door into a dance hall. My dress is Navy with white polka dots, my hair is curled and pinned perfectly in that 40's style. Men are dressed to the hilt in their three piece suits, winged tipped shoes, & hats. Suddenly I'm dancing the swing. 123, 123, rock step, 123, 123, rock step spinning in and out. Finally "I'll Be Home for Christmas" played and there I was standing outside of house looking in. Watching the family play games and laugh, children running about, while others held their little ones and talked. Suddenly it felt like home walking in the snow as my boots crunched in the snow. I entered my apartment and started a fire. I curled up on the couch with a good book and drifted off into another world.

No comments: