Sunday, November 18, 2007

Trust

What does trust mean to you? When you trust someone does that generally mean you trust them completely with their decisions or actions? Or does it mean you trust them to a point and if they fail you then you take over? Do you find it difficult to trust because of past experiences? What has to be done for someone to gain your trust?
Today in church the sermon focused on trusting God. God is big enough to handle what life throws at us. There are times we feel He's not there but He is. He's strong enough to hold us up, strengthen us, empower us, heal us, etc.... He's never going to leave us.
He's always there to provide what we need. Granted he doesn't give us everything we ask for. What he does give is only what we need to meet our needs.
Tonight in church we sang "Hungry" in the chorus it says "So I wait for you, So I wait for you. I'm falling on my knees offering all of me, Jesus you're all this heart is living for..." And it reminded me of trust. Do I trust God with every aspect of my life, relationships, jobs, future, missions etc.... And I go through phases where I totally trust God but then there are times when Satan creeps in and I start to believe the doubts he's planted in my head and I begin to take some of that trust back from God. I begin to not fully trust Him. I find when I stop trusting him things don't go right and I'm fighting for things to go right.
In the book I'm reading of short stories I can relate to most of the female characters in each of the stories. One in particular really stands out to me. In one of the chapters she's having a discussion with the man she's dating about fear. His response to her "God didn't give you a spirit of fear." It goes on to say "You fear because you don't trust God." It hit me...I don't trust God fully in certain areas because I'm afraid. I feel like He can't handle it. And it's Satan doing that to me. Listening to Pastor speak this morning and then the song tonight re-iterated that God is more powerful than I can imagine and he's strong enough to hold me up. God knows the plans he has for me and what is to come in my life. He knows the struggles I will face in the future. I don't have to do this alone. I came to the conclusion I've got to stop being "miss independent" and rely on God. Trust him fully that he has the best plans for my life. When I begin to trust him, rely on him, and wait on him my fears will subside and I will have peace.

No comments: