
Last night was my second Thanksgiving meal with no leftovers being served ha ha. The Americans on the campus of EUNC wanted to show our thanks to the students and faculty for hosting us. It was potluck style and had an international flavor to it. They transformed the fellowship hall into a beautiful place. Candles and low lit lamps filled the room creating ambiance. The autum colored Napkins were placed length wise underneath the plates to add color. Burgandy flowers tied with burnt orange ribbon adorned the tables along with baskets of fruit. The fire was going, football was on, people were laughing and talking. Some dressed up in there Sunday best, others came casual while others came comfortable. Kids were running around screaming, giggling and building forts. It was just like home.
I made mashed potatos as I found a mixer to borrow! They were so good! However I forgot to tell them to warm them up before putting them out. They were a bit cold when they were served. Still good though.
After we had eaten we went around the table and said what we were thankful for. Then the table as a whole came up with one thing they were thankful for. Every table had the same answer of being in this community and having family. Ours was last and summed it up to God's faithfullness in bringing us to this place and establishing the friendships.
Dessert was served and there was no pumpkin pie! Shock to some of you I know! ha ha. Pumpkin in a can is not sold here. Although...I do have 2 cans myself, but don't tell anyone! Shhhhhh. I'm saving it for pumpkin bread. I tried a traditional swiss desert. I'm not sure what it's called but I guess it's like creamed chestnuts. You squeeze it from a tube and it looks like wheat spaghetti. It's very sweet at first then quickly changes to a bitter taste. I'm not fond of it.
At 8:30 we headed out to the yard inbetween the 2 buildings for some American football. It was crazy as at both ends were trees which weren't in the right place and in the middle is a kyak that is being used as a flower bed. Uwe (pronounced ooo-va) brought out his lamp stands to give us light! Michelle was playing in her bare feet. Not to mention the fact it was freezing outside and the ground was wet. I took some pictures and video. Not all the pictures turned out because of lighting. At one point I snapped the picture and I heard my flash make some clicking noises. I looked at my camera after the picture had been taken and I saw smoke coming off of it. I thought it was broken only to find out that it was my breath I was seeing. ha ha. After the game we went inside. Some of us watched Miracle on 34th St (the newest version! I love that movie) while others sat by the fire and talked.
This was a thanksgiving I'll never forget and I truly enjoyed!
No comments:
Post a Comment