"When the south wind blew softly, supposing that they had obtained their desire, putting out to sea, they sailed close by Crete, But long after, a tempesuous head wind arose, called Euroclydon. SO when the ship was caught, and could not head into the wind, we let her drive." Acts 27:13-15
The focal chapter for Day 3 of Faithfulness was based on Acts 27 through 28:10. It amazes me how adventurous the Bible is. I don't recall ever reading this passage. It's like something out of Moby Dick. The whole passage talks about sailing, the troubles they encounter, God's plan, faithfulness. The Bible is filled with stories like this, of war, love, etc...
Day 3 was entitled "A painful Deliverence" and yet again it was something I had to face. Beth talks about our faith how it transform our character. She points out that we "not always be aware of another person's absence of faith, but you will quickly be aware of another person's presence of faith!" As I am writing this I noticed she uses the words "Christian Character" it brought back memories of being at Arkansas Baptist. Durring elementray school at the end of the year we were given Christian Character awards. Our teachers watched us throughout the year and at the end gave us a certificate of a christian quality we possesed and showed throughout the school year. Some points Beth makes of Paul's shipwreck are:
1. Feelings of perception cannot be the basis of faith even in the most Spirit-filled life.
-One reason many people feel "disappointed in God" is because they treated their feelings as fact.
2. Faith comes from listening
-God's Word is always true
-God always keeps His promises, but He reserves the right to apply His Word as He sees fit.
-We must seek his heart to know if a particular assurance is ours to claim in a particular moment, But once God provides His Word to cliam, the mimmediate burden of blief falls into action.
-the most certain way to Know God is to know His Word.
-Paul had a steadfast faith in the midst of a rocky situation
-God is capable of speaking over the winds and the waves. He may calm them as He did for the disciples, or He may lead you through them as He did with Paul.
3. God's deliverance came through the ship running ground.
-Deliverance does not mean ease.
-God's deliverance in your life may be one of the most excruciating things you
ever experience. This is where it hit me. I've not always had the best relationship with my dad. Partly because we've got a lot of the same personality being stubborn, bullheaded, and in my opinion getting our feelings hurt easily. This past year has not been the best for us. I didn't say goodbye to him before coming to Europe. I was hurt over some things and Satan used that to destroy our relationship. I was afraid of what would be said to me and didn't want to face it as I hate conflict and try at all cost to avoid it. You can only run so much before your past catches up to you. I love my dad. Always will. I was just scared of consequences and words that would be
said. Yet I know he's hurting because I shut off all communication with him. Amazing how satan plants "conversations" in your mind and you believe that's what will be said to you. I had to write my dad. So I sat down and wrote a letter to him and my stepmom. It was hard and I cried but I had to appologize and ask for fogiveness. After I got everything out in a nice way it was as if I had a burden lifted off of me. I know this is not going to go away over night and it will take time and healing. It was long overdue. Beth points out that "heavy winds and raging seas don't always mean you're on the wrong course. It may mean you're right on target...Perhaps He couldn't get you to your destination any other way, and like Paul, you may run aground for the sake of the crew on board with you.
4. God always has a destination in mind when He delivers
-Once you have been faithful to who He is, He will show you what He can do
-we may have to toss a few things overboard to keep from sinking, but if we believe, God provides deliverance even in the midst of "Plan B".
Beth finished the lesson by asking the question "Describe a time when God let you 'run aground' into His will."
I encourage you to read the scripture quoted at the begining then go back through the notes. If you have this book you're in for a ride!
No comments:
Post a Comment