Saturday, September 30, 2006

blogging by candlelight :)

The dinner party is over, the dishes are done (except those that had to soak) and rain is gently falling. I had lit candles throughout the apartment to make it smell good. I just haven't put out the one in my room yet. It's my own "spa like" retreat. ha ha.
The dinner. Everyone said it was good. The caserole was a little dry. I didn't put enough milk into the soup. I always do that! ugh. The brownies were so good.
The conversation flowed much better than at my first dinner party. I was able to participate more with this conversation.
Ali is from Africa and he entertained us with some interesting facts about Africa....like champanzees only have 4 fingers. In the jungle they are aggressive and they're strong. If they slap you they can take a chunk out of your face, rip your ear off, but beware if they get your hand they will literally take off your finger because you have 5 fingers.
People use the jungle to hide because a lot of people stay away from it because it is so dense.
If you see an ape or gorilla (I can't remember which he said) you are not to make eye contact with it and you are to bow to it. They're like dogs and the eye contact is a sign you want to fight them.
If you sleep in the jungle you should not sleep with your legs straight together. you need to sleep with them spread apart. Why? you ask...there are snakes (boas I think is what he said can't remember) anyway they will unhinge there jaw and eat you and you wont know it at first. Therefor if you sleep with your legs together he will devour both of them. If they are apart he will just start on one.
Africans will eat dogs, cats, bats, rats, snakes, he even said they will eat the little bugs that fly to the lights. There is a lot of voodoo and tribes believe in spirits etc... There are some areas where they believe if someone is real sick they will kill them to relieve the spirit. Then they eat them. Or if the person dies they will eat them. They believe white meat (people) taste better.
People there get malaria a lot. Ali has had it several times. He said you take medicine everyday because you know you'll eventually get it. I think he said with his you get a bad headache and some stomach pain.
All in all it was a good party and I enjoyed myself.

No comments: